IT Support Engineer
Brighton Head Office
Brighton / Hybrid
£30,000 - £33,000
Job Title: IT Support Engineer
Reports to: Head of IT
Location: Brighton / Hybrid
Salary: £30k - £33k
Receiving, prioritising, documenting, investigating and actively resolving support requests from our colleagues across all brands of Inspiring Learning in a timely manner.
A large proportion of this job requires talking to colleagues and 3rd party support partners on the telephone. You should have an excellent telephone manner.
Assisting with maintenance and support of Inspiring Learning’s IT infrastructure (including desktops, laptops, mobile devices, servers, switches, WiFi, storage, security, software applications, external hosting, remote offices and backups).
To fully support and exemplify the overall Company purpose and values of – ‘Keep it Simple’; ‘Know your Stuff’; ‘Give it your all’; ‘Make it Fun’ and ‘Own it’
Key role responsibilities and accountabilities
In this exciting and varied role you will be expected to:
• Resolve support issues that are reported to the IT team effectively and efficiently
• Act as a technical authority, providing expertise to colleagues
• Ensure that we surpass our colleagues’ expectations for the provision of support
• Communicate clearly with all colleagues and stakeholders in a timely fashion.
Typical work activities include:
• Log and review incoming support requests on the Helpdesk System
• Take ownership of and work to resolve support queries
• Keep colleagues updated in a professional manner ensuring accuracy of detail
• Troubleshoot problems and provide advice on the appropriate action
• Analyse and resolve faults ranging from systems failures to forgotten passwords
• Implement and manage improvements to operational systems configurations
• Ensure that documentation and job notes are kept up-to-date and accurate
• Configure a range of devices for colleagues, installing software and carrying out routine maintenance to hardware and software
• Other duties as and when required by the management.
Typical knowledge, skills and experience
Technical skills required:
• Previous experience in a senior IT support role (3 years)
• Experienced at working with 3rd party support partners
• Ability to produce clear, concise and accurate documentation and job notes
• Windows 10 to an advanced level
• Office 2013 / 2016 to an advanced level
• Experience of O365
• Windows Server 2008 / 2012 administration
• Active Directory and Microsoft Exchange administration
• Experienced in administering DNS, group policies and Email security systems
• Experience with Routers, Switches, VPNs and wireless networks
• Experience of Antivirus (Trend preferably) and WSUS for Windows updates
• Understanding of telephony systems and their administration. (Preferably Avaya)
• Strong understanding of backup and restore methods.
• Knowledge of DFS in Windows 2012 Server
• Possess a clean driving licence.
• Creative thinking around process design with a desire to improve service delivery
• Knowledge of Network design, build and troubleshooting (switches and routers)
• ITIL Foundation qualified.
• Knowledge of Apple computer systems and software would be useful
• Ability to communication at a technical level appropriate to the circumstances e.g. for colleagues with varying levels of IT knowledge & competence.
• Skills to deal with difficult or demanding colleagues.
• Positive attitude, friendly manner and excellent phone etiquette
• Possess clear & confident communication skills both written and verbal
• Ability to deal with problems and technical issues in a friendly, calm and reassuring manner
• Possess excellent problem solving ability, and tenacity to investigate issues when answers or solutions aren't immediately obvious
• Possess the ability to research for solutions to problems
• Be self-organised, methodical and committed to performing to the best of your ability
• Have the ability to multi-task, prioritise and escalate accordingly
• Demonstrate a natural interest in IT with a desire to stay abreast of new technologies.
• Ability to self-manage the assimilation of new technical skills quickly
• Show a continual desire to learn and build new skills
• Possess dedication to pursue issues from beginning to end, a completer finisher
• Show initiative and be capable of working unsupervised on many occasions
This job description is not to be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive and does not form part of the roles contract terms. It is a summary of the Senior IT Support Engineer role and responsibilities and, like all such documents, will be amended from time to time, in the light of the changing needs of the IT Team. Prepared by The People Team April 2021.